We often feel tired, unable to perform at work, and sometimes depressed living in such high paced city. Well, your diet might be the answer to your problems. Today we are looking into one of the most important nutrients for our body yet it's usually overlooked, Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s are a type of polyunsaturated fat. They’re deemed essential fatty acids because they’re necessary for health.
However, not all omega-3s are created equal. Among 11 types, the 3 most important are ALA, EPA, and DHA.
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) mostly found in plant foods and is an essential precursor of EPA or DHA. ALA is found in many plant foods, including kale, spinach, soybeans, walnuts, and many seeds, such as chia, flax.
- Our body uses Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) to produce signaling molecules called eicosanoids, which play numerous physiological roles and reduce inflammation. Chronically, low-level inflammation is known to drive several common diseases. EPA concentrations are highest in herring, salmon, eel, shrimp.
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an important structural component of your skin and the retinas in your eyes.
DHA is vital for brain development and function in childhood, as well as brain function in adults.
What’s more, it can boost heart health by reducing blood triglycerides and possibly your number of LDL (bad) cholesterol particles.
DHA is found in high amounts in seafood, including fatty fish and algae.
Here are some science-based benefits of Omega-3s to start with:
- Can Fight Depression and Anxiety
- Can Improve Eye Health
- Can Promote Brain Health
- Can Improve Risk Factors for Heart Disease
The above four benefits are corelated to our overall wellness at work.
Which also means that with the right nutrients, you have maximized at least 50% of your efficiency at work. The remaining 50% will be contributed by other external factors, such as posture, and sedentary.
At Ekobor, we provide the right tools for anyone who spends a great amount of time behind a desk, which affects greatly on the posture. Poor posture could lead to health problems such as back pain, spinal dysfunction, joint degeneration, rounded shoulders and a potbelly. Check out our ergonomically design furniture to improve your life right away!